Today I want to share with you some choice thoughts from the Puritan writer John Owens, as quoted by Tim Challies on his blog. Note the startling implications following each positive statement.
A list of seven things that Christ is:
- He is the Way; men without him are Cains, wanderers, vagabonds:—
- He is the Truth; men without him are liars, like the devil, who was so of old:—
- He is the Life; without him men are dead, dead in trespasses and sins :—
- He is the Light; without him men are in darkness, and go they know not whither:—
- He is the Vine; those that are not grafted in him are withered branches, prepared for the fire:—
- He is the Rock; men not built on him are carried away with a flood:—
- He is Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the author and the ender, the founder and the finisher of our salvation.
It reminds me of an old song from the ‘70s:
Men are trying to find the answers to the questions that never cease
They find in life there’s something missing; they are looking for release
And the way to peace.
He is the way; without Him there’s no going
He is the truth; without Him there’s no knowing
He is the life now and eternally
He satisfies the searching heart and fills men with His love so rich and free!